After the previous recipe “Pasta with ‘Nduja“, here it is another recipe with this unique ingredient typical of Calabria region. And this is really a scrumptious recipe, with some stingy cheese too 🙂
The basic recipe is about the same of the famous Neapolitan “Pasta e patate“, and I simply added the nduja, that of course changes the final taste quite a lot.
Personally I really like this dish. Let’s see what we need.
INGREDIENTS (2 people):
- 180 g pasta
- 360 g potatoes (peeled)
- 40-50 g ‘nduja
- 100 g provola cheese (or provolone)
- 1 small purple onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
- First take a cocotte/high pot and heat a good amount of extra virgin olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons. Next to it boil also some water (about 500-600 ml we will need).
- Cut the onion and add it to the oil, and let it simmer at low heat until soft (10 minutes about). Then add also the ‘nduja and mix it together.
- Meanwhile peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes (not too small and not too big, about 2 cm, they must keep some texture), then put them in the cocotte/pot together with the onion and the ‘nduja.
- Mix all together and then cover the potatoes with hot water, add also some basil leaves. Season with salt. If the liquid reduces too much while cooking add some hot water.
- After 20-25 minutes (from the moment you added the potatoes) control if the potatoes are cooked, squeeze some of them (just a bit) then you can put the pasta inside. If needed add more water just enough to cover everything and from now keep stirring regularly until the pasta is cooked (otherwise it will attach on the bottom): indicatively 10-12 minutes. During this time the pasta will release extra starch so it will get thicker, so keep adding hot water if it’s needed, depending on the fact if you like it more or less creamy.
- When it’s ready switch off the heat, add the provola/provolone cheese cut into cubes and you stir until melted.
- Then serve the dish adding fresh basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!
Pasta: pasta mista di Gragnano IGP from “Pastificio Gentile”
‘Nduja: nduja di Spilinga, made by Luigi Caccamo