I have collected quite a good number of hazelnuts in the garden, and it was quite a long job to break them 🙂 so I thought that after all that job it was a good idea to prepare a very good cake 🙂
It’s a very simple cake, but with such a great ingredient you don’t need much.
This is a recipe typical of Piedmont region, especially the area of the Langhe, which is the famous part of that region very famous for its hazelnuts.
Let’s see how to make this flavorful autumn cake!
INGREDIENTS (26-28 cm):
- 350 g toasted hazelnuts
- 150 g melted butter (I used 80 g mountain butter and 70 g normal butter)
- 200 g sugar
- 100 g flour
- 3 eggs (or 4 if they are small/medium size, as I did)
- half glass of sweet wine (Moscato, straw wines, etc.), optional
- a teaspoon of salt
- 10 g baking powder
- First of all clean the hazelnuts and toast them if you didn’t buy already toasted. It’s easy, especially in an iron pan (but you can make also in another pan), simply heat them at medium heat for about 10 minutes, keep them moved not to get burnt, until the peel removes easily. Then take a mixer and make a powder from the hazelnuts.
- Then melt the butter in a bain-marie.
- Take a bowl and sift the flour, add the hazelnuts flour, the sugar, the salt and the baking powder, and mix together.
- Add the yolks and the melted butter and mix well. Add also the sweet wine if you would like.
- In another bowl add the egg whites and start whisking them with an electric whisker, keep whisking until fluffy and stable. Then add the egg whites to the other ingredients, and incorporate them gently, paying attention not to deflate the air from the egg whites.
- Now take an oven pan, that you have previously greased with butter and sprinkled with some flour, and pour everything inside. Spread it well to have an homogeneous surface.
- Bake at 190 °C, static oven, for about 35-40 minutes.
- It’s perfect as it is, but you can serve it also with a glass of good sweet wine, or with a delicious Zabaione cream 🙂