Since long I wanted to do this cake, but for a reason or for another, I never had time.
I used to eat it sometimes several years ago, but lately I didn’t.
But this time the wish came to my mind suddenly, so I said to myself “yes, now I do it!” 🙂
The recipe is quite simple, there are not really technical difficulties in its execution, but I realized that most of the recipes are made with seeds oils, and I don’t really like them 🙂 so, I used as usual a good butter.
If you want to follow the most common recipes about this cake, feel free to change the butter with seeds oil.
Let’s see the procedure!
- 300 g flour
- 300/350 g carrots
- 150 g of melted butter
- 150 g brown sugar
- 50 g pine nuts (or you can use almonds if you prefer, or also walnuts)
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 8-10 g baking soda/baking powder
- First of all, switch on the oven at 175/180 °C static mode, then peel the carrots and grate them very small. I left a part of them in bigger pieces (just a bit bigger, not too much, otherwise it will not cook enough), but you can also put everything in the food processor and reduce it in very small pieces, it’s up to your taste and if you want the cake to be more or less rustic. Then dry the grated carrots a bit, it must not be too much wet.
- Then take a bowl, and whisk the eggs together with the brown sugar (or if you prefer, use the white sugar). Do it for about 10 minutes, it must be fluffy.
- Now, while whisking, add gradually the butter that you previously melted.
- Stop with the whisks, and add the carrots to that cream. Then sift the flour, add the baking soda/powder in it, and start to add it to the fluffy cream, and by using a wooden spatula/big spoon mix it from down to up, gently, without breaking the air in the cream. Do it until all the flour is inside.
- Then squeeze the pine nuts (or almonds, or a mix of both) and add it to the cream too.
- Add the salt, and put everything in a cake pan, I used a high rectangular shape of 25×11 cm, but use what you prefer, you can make it lower and larger too. But before spread some butter and flour on the bottom.
- Put it in the oven, about 45 minutes (every oven is different). Check if it’s ready with a toothpick, if it comes out clean then it’s ready 🙂
- Enjoy, I think with a cup of tea it fits very well 🙂 you can dust the cake with powdered sugar if you would like.
PS: you could also add some little chocolate chips, or some spices like cinnamon or ginger, or lemon zest 🙂 up to your taste and fantasy 🙂
Flour: farina biologica Tipo 1 from “Azienda Agricola Floriddia”