I know that in some countries eating rabbit is not well seen, but in some other countries like mine it is a traditional food, so it’s normal. And I think it’s very good 🙂
In my family, in Italy, we always had rabbits, so I grew up eating it quite often. And I’m happy that also here in Hungary is possible to find it, even if it’s not so popular as in Italy probably.
We use to take it by a local farmer, and knowing and seeing that those animals are having not a bad life as in certain industrial farms, this makes me glad, because the meat is also better if the animal lives better. No doubts.
There are many good recipes with rabbit, but this one is very “comfortable” because there are no bones 🙂
You can make it with a whole rabbit, but in this case the rabbit was from a breed which is quite big, so I did it just with the thighs.
To debone it it’s not too complicated, especially the thighs, and you can find tutorials on the web too if you don’t know how to make it. Or ask your butcher 🙂
INGREDIENTS (4 people):
- rabbit (if it’s small you can use a whole rabbit, in this case the whole 2 thighs were almost 1 kg before deboning, it depends from the breed)
- 2-3 eggs
- anchovy fillets, 3-4
- spinach (but also other green leaves are fine, depending on the season)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 40-50 g butter
- 1 glass of white wine
- 1 clove of garlic
- black pepper
- First of all you have to debone the rabbit.
- Then take a pan and easily prepare a simple omelette with the eggs, and keep it aside for later.
- Take a meat tenderizer and heat the meat. Than place in the middle the omelette, the anchovy fillets and the spinach (or other green leaves).
- Make a roll and close it with some sticks, or with a butcher’s twine.
- Now take a pan and heat the butter with some extra virgin olive oil and the garlic. When it’s hot enough remove the garlic and then add the rabbit rolls, and brown them on all the sides.
- When it’s well browned add the white wine and reduce it. Then set the heat lower, add the fresh rosemary and sage leaves, season with salt and black pepper and cook it covered for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or also a bit more. Turn it sometimes.
- Cut the rolls into slices and serve it with its sauce and some potatoes, or mashed potatoes, or also polenta 🙂
One Comment Add yours
We eat puppies and kittens in my culture, it’s totally normal and I think it’s delicious.
LikeLiked by 1 person