This is a cake that is very easy to make, very fast, but it has an amazing flavor, and a very nice freshness given by the lemon.
It’s not the usual soft spongy cake, but it’s more compact and wet.
You can choose the ricotta you prefer (cow, sheep or buffalo), what’s important is to choose a good quality product, possibly artisanal and fresh.
In this case I chose a fresh Orda made with cow milk, which is the Hungarian version of ricotta, and it’s very similar.
Another important thing, the lemon: choose a good lemon, and absolutely untreated.
INGREDIENTS (24 cm cake):
- 500 g ricotta
- 150 g sugar
- 5 eggs
- 40 g butter
- 90 g flour (I used stone ground organic Einkorn wheat flour, but the choice it’s not so important in this case)
- 1 big lemon (or 2 small), untreated
- First of all divide the yolks from the egg whites. Take a bowl and whisk the egg whites until stiff and dry.
- In another bowl whisk the yolks with the sugar, until frothy and light. Then add the ricotta, the very soft butter, the freshly grated lemon peel and all its juice, and keep whisking. Then add also the flour, sift it first.
- Now add the egg whites to the cream and carefully mix it with a wooden spoon, and incorporate them gently, paying attention not to deflate the air from the egg whites.
- Spread some butter on the bottom of your oven pan, and pour everything inside.
- Bake at 170 °C, static mode, for about 60-70 minutes. If it gets too dark, place an aluminium foil on the top.
- When it’s ready let it cool down, sprinkle powdered sugar all over the top and serve it 🙂
PS: since it’s more wet than usual, I suggest to eat it in maximum 2-3 days, and keep it in a cool room.